Skip to main content

Happy 27!

As our anniversary is approaching, Jon was throwing out some destinations we could visit. We talked over some places we'd like to see. I considered the cost, and kept thinking of the backyard we need to get put into place and some bushes we need to replace out front. I'd rather spend the money there! I suggested we go camping somewhere. (Apparently, much to the surprise of many). I do like camping though! Especially when it's just the two of us and I'm not packing up a family- much different experiences. 

Of course, Jon was on board with this suggestion, and began looking at some different places we could go. He sold to me Great Basin. It's only about a three hour drive, it's a Dark Sky location, and really pretty. I thought that sounded great! He loaded up the car with tents and sleeping gear. He borrowed a friends portable Blackstone. I put some stuff together in a bag- not even worrying about makeup, which sounded real nice! The drive felt quick. We stopped at the last little grocery store and got some yogurts for breakfast and stuff for dinners. There's a cute little cafe near our campsite we figured we'd have lunch at. We got to our campsite and had plenty of daylight to get our stuff set up, and check out the little cafe and gift shop, and get our water filled. Great Basin is indeed, a giant basin. The view seems to expand forever and is so vast and beautiful.  


 






 Back at camp, Jon grilled us steaks and veggies. There is something about food being extra delicious when camping, you know. That evening we walked down to the river with our chairs. Everything was so peaceful. It feels like everywhere is so crowded nowadays, every place is heavily discovered and occupied. Here, I appreciated there were just a few campers scattered throughout our campground. Jon set up a movie in our tent and it was all real cozy!



 The next day we had a Lehman Cave tour scheduled. We gathered with our group and our tour guide. The caves were amazing to see! It almost felt like a movie set. There were points where I tried not to think about how far underground we were- like when the tour guide hit the lights to show just how dark it is down there. I thought about how truly spectacular nature is. This earth that God created is amazing. 

We spent a little time in the morning chillin' in the hammock and reading.



Ready to hit the cave!

 
This place is wild!













Our tour guide told us how it takes hundreds of years to create just a few inches, which gives you an idea how old everything is!

It felt like we were in Dracula's Castle!






This was my favorite. So incredible!






After our tour, we had lunch at the cafe. Even though the crowd wasn't too big, there was just one cook and one woman taking the orders. In-between customers, she'd run around wiping tables and sweep, refill drinks, then run back to the register to take another order. She told us this was one of her three jobs! She works as much as she can through the summer season because everything closes down for the winter, which is when she rests. We thought about ordering an ice cream on our way out, but I didn't have the heart! 

We then hiked up to see the Pinion trees. It was beautiful along the way. Some of the trees grew before Christ was born! I had to wrap my arms around them and just take them in. Wow!







 





27!



Back at our campsite, Jonny grilled us up some yummy fajitas. They sure hit the spot! 

I was thinking about how grateful I am that Jon and I enjoy being together. Camping and spending some quiet down-time was just lovely. I'm happy we're happy!