Skip to main content

Jonny Wins A Contest!

What a view!
In the fall, Jon told me about a Jeldwen Windows promotional contest they were running. The top 12 salesmen were to win an all expense paid trip to Cancun! Jon happened to have just made a big sale with their windows and was in the top all through the winter. By the time the promotion ended, he was still in! Hooray! 
Eli was a real doll and drove us to the airport in the wee hours of the morning. After the four hour flight, we landed in beautiful Cancun, Mexico. It was so warm, I felt so out of place in my jeans and sweatshirt!
We were met at the airport with shuttle drivers holding signs with our names and escorted us to the shuttle. So nice to have all of that ready for us!

There is a bit of unrest in the Baja area in Mexico. Even an airport shooting. We were watching the travel advisory, but could see it was hundreds of miles away from where we'd be going. Days before, Jeldwen sent an email saying not to worry, the trip was still going forward and we should feel very safe in our area. The night before Paul and Sharon texted us their worries and even though we reassured them, they didn't think we should go. 

Thankfully, all was well and we walked around the all-inclusive resort. It sat right on the ocean, and the views were amazing!  


There was a welcome dinner for us out on the beach that night where we met the other 11 salespeople and their plus ones from all over the US. From there we decided to stick to ourselves ;)

There were different excursions to sign up for and while Jon and I mulled over spending a day with a random group, we opted to stay in and chose the spa treatments. It was so luxurious! 

We then chose to just get a cabana and relax by the water. It was so nice to doze, read,  jump in the water, repeat! All while being brought cold drinks. Even a foot rub! The weather was perfect, and when it got a little too warm, we'd go jump in the clear blue ocean water. 



We loved walking around at night. There is something about the sound of the tide under moonlight that is so beautiful!


When we were ready for dinner, we'd go back to the room and freshen up and try the different restaurants. All-inclusive is where it's at!






On our last day, Jon and I went out into the water. I was in front of Jon and could barely touch the sand. Then suddenly he got caught in a rip-tide and was dragged way out in front of me. He yelled, "Help!" The waves weren't big, but still rolling too much to swim through and would crash on our heads. I panicked because then I couldn't touch and wondered how I could help him. I saw him swimming on his back, I assumed to save energy and stay afloat. Right then, a life guard was next to me and said, "I got him!" They must have been watching. It took me a minute to get back to shore myself! Jon was sitting on the beach trying to catch his breath. He had swallowed a bit of water and was exhausted. The lifeguards were telling us riptides are quite common and can get you in trouble quick. As I looked up at the beach, it seemed everyone had paused and was watching us. It really shook Jon up, we just laid in our cabana for a bit to recover. 

That night was the closing dinner, but Jon didn't feel up to it. We skittered past the shooting lights and thumping music setup by the pool. We found a quiet restaurant to dine. Our last morning, the Jeldwen reps gave us our gifts we didn't get the night before and we shuttled to the airport. We couldn't help but keep thinking, "What if..." I said to Jon, what if I had to tell your parents something horrible had happened, which had nothing to do with the unrest in Mexico???

We flew home and sweet Adren and Ella picked us up from the airport. It was nice to chat and get an update on how things had been at home. All was well, all is well.